Monday, February 11, 2013

Together Towards Tomorrow


Greetings sisters!


Workshop season is upon us! North block is only 5 days away! Here is a quick link to remind you what is going on during blocks this year:  http://www.kkytbsncd.org/block.html

Another event to think about is District Convention, April 5th-7th, in Lexington, Kentucky.



Convention is all about learning new things to take back to your chapter and bonding with your fellow sisters and brothers. I have attended three conventions as an active member, and I have learned something new at each of them.

In 2010, district convention was in Dearborn, MI and it was my very first! I remember staying up all night talking and discussing issues with my chapter, making fun of a sister who thought the shaped butter at banquet was white chocolate, and finding my passion for our organization.

From left to Right: Caitlin, Beth, myself, Myranda, and Rachael from Zeta Alpha

At my very next convention, I decided to run for district office. As a generally shy person, this was quite a stretch outside the box for me. I had to step outside my comfort zone and interact with new people in a way I had never done before. I had to interview with sisters I had never met, including the chapters of individuals I was running against. Remarkably, I endured and found strength within myself I never knew I had.
My sisters and brothers from Zeta Alpha, aka my support system
Yes, it was hard. Yes, it was tiring. But yes, it was absolutely worth it. I had my sisters from Zeta Alpha beside me, the support of our sponsor and some kind words from then district president, Sky Buffington. Without all that support, I am sure I would have withered under the pressure.
I remember sitting in the back of the room, holding hands with my entire chapter as my name was reviled to be slated for president. I was incredibly happy, but it wasn’t over yet. Several minutes later after voting down the slate, and the voting for the president’s position was finished, my name was announced. I totally broke down. For those of you who know me even just a little bit, of course it was no surprise. Yet, I was still in shock.

Alex Price and I, taking the Oath of Office
This position has changed my life. No if ands or buts about it. I have grown as an individual, as a sister and as a leader. I encourage anyone thinking of a district position to talk to me or anyone else on council, so we can share our insights with you. Holding a district officer position is an amazing experience and you will not regret this opportunity to continue to serve the bands! I am stronger, wiser and so blessed to have gone on this journey. But, it’s not over yet! Join me in Lexington, KY for my final stop on my Tau Beta Sigma journey, and for some fun and learning about our great sorority. 

You won’t regret it. Promise!

Joey and I are all smiles at a CMEP

Much Love in the Bond,


Carrie Lund

No comments:

Post a Comment