Saturday, January 19, 2013

Epiphany

My dear Sisters of the NCD!

So I have a confession to make... I missed my blog post...

Of course, I did this intentionally to help reinforce Catherine's blog post so that there would be an example of bad use of a planner..... Ok, not really, but it makes for a good reinforcer. Organization is extremely important, especially for a District Officer, but in life none of us would succeed if we didn't take care of our responsibilities!

That said, start off this semester well. Take Catherine's post to heart and make sure you are ready to rock this semester!

Now, that I have confessed my sin I would like to get to the point of my post. This one hits a little closer to home, and I hope it does for you as well.

A lot happened over holiday break for me, but the biggest thing is that I discovered something. As we get older we try to discover who we are in the world. Are we leaders? Who are our friends? Am I doing what I want? Break was when this really hit me. I started trying to find out who I was in the world, because I didn't seem to know anymore.

Now don't get me wrong. I wasn't depressed, more confused. I spent my break trying to decipher who the adult Anthony Greer is. In essence, who am I?

I made some changes in my life. I cut off a lot of my hair (I look very different) and purchased clothes that I could comfortably teach in this semester. But still something was missing, and I wasn't quite sure what.

During the last weekend before I went to school I auditioned for a major production of Les Mis in the Quad Cities, IL. I was SO nervous! I do theater all of the time, but this was much bigger than anything in which I had participated. I wanted nothing more than to play Marius in the production.

In short, 250 people auditioned, I received three callbacks, and was in the top three for the part I wanted. Monday I came to school with so much anxiety that I couldn't stand it. All I wanted was the call telling me I had gotten the part. I waited for what seemed like an eternity until Tuesday night when I received a response....

I did not receive the part. My stomach fell as I read the e-mail and I was pretty upset. I had spent a long time preparing and it all fell apart in a matter of seconds... But then, I realized something. I made it to the top three. Out of all the people who auditioned for my part, I had made it to the final cut. I shouldn't be upset, I should be proud. Me not getting the part wasn't a slam against my abilities. Rather, me making it so far proved that I don't stink!

This was a huge step for me. Suddenly, I felt that I had handled the situation like an adult... I was happy. The next day and for days after I walked around with a huge smile on my face. People noticed a difference, and I know I am better because of the experience.

Sisters, as you grow through your life there will be tough moments. We will all go through soul-searching moments where we are confused about who we are in the world around us. When this happens remember that we are stronger than we think we are. Support is everywhere around us, and the answer will come in a sudden, blissful moment.

I want to leave you with two things that should be very familiar to all of us. Take solace in these as we start a new year.

"Knowedge and development of your physical powers in the quest for good health and bodily perfection."

"Recognition and development of your intellectual potential"

I love you all!

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment