Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Thoughts from an alum.

So I sit here thinking about what to write and it's hard for me to think of just one thing that is most likely going on in Chapters right now. Being an alumni makes me realize all the things about Chapter that I took for granted and didn't fully respect until now.

Chapter meetings: Yes I said it. I miss Chapter. I know sometimes we just want it to be over or for people to stop bickering but think of it as making time to better your chapter. I know not everyone sits there hoping for it to end, I know I didn't most of the time, but there were times that I wished things would get a move on. And you know how to help those things? Make sure you're following some form of Roberts Rules of Order (RRoO), or what ever helps you get things done. If the same people keep talking or are talking in circles, there's a RRoO for that!

Service Projects: Yep another one! I was asked by a Psi prospective what my favorite one was, and I honestly couldn't pick one. Realizing how much I had done for the bands with my chapter is something that I miss, it seemed like such a small thing at the time, but looking back (yes I realize it's only been a few months) I realize how much I did. When I look at the high school marching bands, I realize how much we were able help the bands out. I see bands that have harnesses that are falling apart and the kids can barely march or play in them, and I though about how we helped out our percussion studio at BG by buying them a new cart, yes I know a cart is different than harnesses, but still, a HUGE cost and expense for schools.

Outreaches: Speaking of high schools, I totally miss outreaches. Getting to see the looks on the high schoolers faces when they see a group of college students who have a passion for helping out the bands was amazing. Sadly while at BG I was only able to attend a couple of them, and someone ended up with a broken nose, that's another story for another day though.

Sisterhood: Yes, as simple as it seems, I miss the atmosphere of being with a group of people that shared a common interest with me, yes I know I am still a part of it, but not being with sisters all the time really stinks. I've lived with sisters for the past 2 basically 3 years of my life, and going from living with and seeing them everyday to never seeing them stinks. Spending time with sisters weekly at meetings, plus having sisterhood dates and going to the student union and seeing half of the chapter was what I looked forward to. I knew that I had (and still have) this wonderful group of people who no matter what mood I was in, would help me out and would point out the positive in things when I would have a hard time finding it.

There are so many other things that I miss dearly but that means I would be writing a novel and not everyone would want to read it. Anyways, the moral of this post it not to take things that happen while you are active for granted. One day you will graduate and realize that TBS held a bigger part of your daily life than you realize. When you are in chapter and that one person is annoying you, just find the humor in it, realize that in a couple of years, or months, you will be sitting around thinking about how much you wish you were there again. As I finish typing this it is on a Wednesday during the time when Alpha Xi has chapter, and every week I think about what would be happening, how much would need to be discussed, and in general just wondering how the chapter is doing.

Before I start crying, I'm ending this thing. Have a great week and please be safe this Halloween and Halloween weekend!!

MLITB,

Jane

2 comments:

  1. The meeting was only 40 minutes and we're doing fantastically. You can rest easy :)

    ReplyDelete