Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Love of the Bond

Sisters,

I cannot believe that Convention is so close! It seems like only yesterday that I was elected to serve as the Vice President for Membership for our wonderful district, and I could not be happier that I was given the chance to do so.

As we come closer and closer to the end of my term, I start to reflect back on my experience as a District Officer. I think back to the Summer Council Meeting, MER, my communication with people in different chapters, planning for Blocks, etc, and the one thing that is a consistent theme in each of these memories is the love I have received from my sisters, and the support I have received from the Bond.

These are the very reasons why I wanted to serve as a District Officer! From the beginning Tau Beta Sigma has surprised me. When I came to college, I was the person who was vehemently against rushing a fraternity (or sorority). In my head, I saw the stereotypical "Animal House" organizations that partied all night and didn't care about doing well in school. All of this changed when I was approached by the wonderful sisters and brothers of the Zeta Alpha chapter of TBS. It was during band camp, and the hard work these individuals put into the band program was apparent. They were the first people at a rehearsal and they were the ones who cleaned up after we were done. Honestly, they were an inspiration to me as a freshman because they made me strive to become a leader in the bands at ISU.

I attended two rush events, and knew that this was the place I was meant to be. The atmosphere was that of a loving family, and that is what I needed most: a family while I was away from home. These wonderful people became much more than that. They became my best friends, the people I went to for everything. They made me feel welcome in a world that I had never experienced before, and I am eternally grateful for that.

The most amazing thing that I discovered when I was rushing, was that it was through this love for each other, this Bond, that they served the bands. TBS had taken a common passion and made it into something so much more. The Bond helped them serve and as I began to understand it more, it helped me serve.

Trust me there is a point to my rambling. There is more to be taken out of this blog other than Anthony is a giant sap! It is easy for us to forget what we are about. We can get so stuck in the rhythm of "business" that we forget why we do what we do. We love the music and bands with everything that we have! We have decided to serve the bands because of this passion.

Do not forget this passion! Do not forget the Bond! It is true that our purpose is to serve the bands. This should be held above everything else within the Sorority. However, the Bond and our passion for the bands help us to serve and to grow closer to the people around us. When appropriately applied to the Sorority, these two aspects inspire us to do so much more than we could ever dream of. I know that they were what inspired me to serve the bands back in the Fall of 2010.

So, as we get closer to our wonderful Convention, remember what TBS is, but most of all, remember why TBS is what it is. It may change your perspective and make things a little brighter.

We come together one and all, with music in our hearts.
In TBS we serve the bands and always do our part.
We're TBS and friends to all and we care what we do.
So, sing out loud and we'll be heard. To you we will be true.

I love you all and look forward to seeing you at Convention!

MLITB,

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment